Welcome to Dharmapuri Diocese

The History of the Dharmapuri Diocese is closely connected with that of Salem from where the diocese was bifurcated in 1997. In the year 1623, Christianity came into existence in the Diocese of Salem through the famous Jesuit Fr Robert De Nobili, his successors and later on through the Portugese Jesuits of Madurai Missions. In 1654 the Italian Jesuits of Mysore had their residence at Dharmapuri and began to preach the Gospel in the region as far as Tirupattur in North Arcot district. In 1674, St. John De Britto, visited Dharmapuri on his way to Kolei. He stayed at Dharmapuri with his Confreres, being accompanied by Fr Antony Ribero. In 1687, the Mysore Church…Read More

 
 

Parishes

The History of the new Dharmapuri diocese is closely connected with that of Salem from where the diocese was bifurcated in 1997. In the year 1623, Christianity came into existence in the Diocese...Read More

Bishop

Bishop Lawrence Pius is the Second Bishop of the Dharmapuri diocese. He was born on January 14th June 1954 in Coimbatore (formerly called Kovai) in Tamil Nadu. He was ordained as..Read More

Wishes

Have a Nice Day
 
 
 
^ Back to Top